Monday 29 June 2009

Farne Island 1


Thank you for taking part in 'Name that Bot' from my last entry..the answer is a Puffin, well done big yin for getting it right.

The picture was taken at the Farne Islands last Saturday and after sifting through over 800 shots the one of the behind took my eye. What a fabulous day out and spectacular scenery with some wonderful birds. Below are just a few of my favourite photos.
We saw some fascinating behaviour and a show of acrobatics from the Arctic Terns, these very protective birds were nesting alongside the path and pecked us on the head, just as well we were advised to wear hats. The many Puffins were showing a great deal of skill catching Sandeels and the Kittiwake chicks were a delight.

Other sightings included Razorbill, Shag, Cormorant, Guilliemot, Eider Duck, Black Headed Gulls, Sandwich Terns, Common Terns, Fulmar, Black Backed Gulls, Wagtail (possibly Pied) and to Mikes delight there was some Gannets spotted from the boat.


It was a really good day out and I would highly recommend going, Billy Shields boat trip was very informative pointing out the different birds which was helpful to a novice like me. The wardens on the islands were always on hand to give you information on the birds and I found them friendly and helpful.
I will be posting some more of the photos soon once I have finished looking at them all, the highlight of the day for me was the Puffins. A close second must be the Kittiwakes....I have taken quite a shine to these birds that I once overlooked with their pure white feathers are just stunning.
A memorable day out even for the lesser spotted teenager who hardly whinged all day, no doubt we'll go back very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment