Wednesday 3 June 2009

Birds Galore and I'm at work!


My hubby has had a few days off this week and has scoured the countryside for some photo's and he has come up with some cracking bird shots. Anyone who reads my blogs will know a few weeks ago I got soaking wet at Druridge Bay and I was so proud as I had spotted a bird that I thought was a Corn Bunting.....but after reading some comments I realised that it was unlikely, well....Mike managed to photograph a bird yesterday which was the same as the one I saw and this is it!












As soon as I saw it I shouted ..'Thats what I saw at the beach'. I have had a look through my bird guide and have come up with maybe a Meadow Pipit. The beak isn't the same as a Corn Bunting, in my defence it was raining hehe. The birds were everywhere, at the beach and in the fields. Any suggestions welcome.






Next shot was of a lovely family of Eider Ducks at Howick Scar. The females were doing a cracking job but no males about.








I have another dilemna, we have a photo the bird on the left that I think might be a female Redstart...I have come to this conclusion by the red chest, not as distinct as the male, pale eye ring and warm brown colour of feathers. I welcome any comments and suggestions if you know what this bird is then let me know. Apparently they were everywhere. There was birds everywhere which is typical because I was at work, never mind this weekend armed with my new binoculars (which I do not see double with YIPEE) I will be out and about hopefully with some sightings and snaps of my own.

3 comments:

  1. Yes you are right about the Meadow Pipit, they are very common in the dunes along the coast. Your Redstart is a female Stonechat. Without looking at feather detail look at its posture. Upright with a square heared appearance. Quite long legged and short tailed they always perch on a point such as a tall weed or a gorse bush or maybe heather befoe dropping to the ground for an unseen snack then its back on to an obvious perch...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stewart, it's good to know you are keeping me right, Mike did say there were some Male Stonechats about which we can identify, and looking back, I saw a female up at Cresswell recently with the same posture.
    Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always think that the thrill of seeing the birds is the most important thing. When I went to bird id classes 25 years ago I was taught to look at the silhouette first as a pointer to id (my 1971, 13th impression of Peterson, Mountfort and Hollom's Field Guide to the Birds of Britain and Europe has silhouettes of birds inside the front and rear covers) and this became the main method I use. I don't know if you have seen the book but I would happily send you copies of the silhouettes if you thought it useful.

    ReplyDelete