Friday 17 April 2009

Squabbling Gadwall

I had a couple of spare hours this afternoon whilst my larger and smaller greater spotted teenagers were chilling infront of their computers so I popped down to Linton Ponds. I was hoping to see some Wigeon or Teal but no such luck. I did however get some nice shots using my hubby's camera. I got my eye on a couple of Gadwall swimming close to the hide. I thought they were Mallards at first then noticed the white patch on their rump. They were bobbing along quite nicely when another wanted in on the action and ended up in quite a squabble. I managed to get a couple of nice shots so that made my day. Not bad results for a beginner who just points and shoots. Also spotted today were Coot and Tuffted Duck which were quite happy swimming and feeding quite close to the hide. I managed to spot some Swallows or at least I think they were, this is how I came to the conclusion.........whilst consulting my bird book.....and trying to focus them in my binoculars.....
My first impresson was ' by george what was that little blighter' but soon saw them again and I thought that they were swifts but they didn't have the large sickle shaped wings and they had a blue tinge to them and a pale underside so I ruled it out.....
My next thought was they could be House Martins but I didn't see any white on the rump so I ruled them out as well. Also we always have them nesting in our steet but they haven't turned up yet so I didn't think it likely.....
Could they be Sand Martins...no wrong colour....(remember I'm an amateur)....
So after ruling everything else out I can pretty much say they were Swallows which is another tick which is very exciting. I tried to get some photo's but the blighters were far to agile and quick.
Two very territorial Canada Geese had claimed one of the islands and got agitated everytime something landed on their island. There was a very nice selection of Gulls swimming, flying and joseling for position out of the wind, I did see a couple of Great Black Backed Gulls and Herring Gulls, probably much more but I'm not that fond of Gulls really. It turned out to be quite a nice way to spend and hour or so and I will definately be investing in my own camera, and new gear very soon so I can take photos whilst my other half does his thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment