Tuesday 14 April 2009

Help Needed

Monday was a very busy day at Wallington Hall and I was pleased we visited the wildlife hide early. It was a very busy feeding station with Red Squirrels foraging on the ground and a lot of different birds using the hanging feeders. I need someone to identify a bird I saw and managed to photograph. At first I thought it was a Greenfinch and maybe it is but the photo shows what I think to be a Greenfinch at the back of the feeder so I was confused. Despite looking through my bird guides I am no further forward. Please leave a comment if you can identify the 3 birds on the feeder, and have a laugh at my poor identification skills hehehe. Other sightings included Blue Tit, Great Tit, Chaffinch and Bullfinch. A pheasant hung around for while pecking below the feeders before heading off into the trees. On our walk around the grounds I managed to spot a Grey Wagtail which is a tick for me so I was very excited, unfortunately it was to far away for a clear photo. Robins were spotted along with Mallard Ducks, a lone Canada Goose and Moorhen which were on the ponds. I heard a Woodpecker but despite searching for it my daughter and I were not lucky enough to spot it, mybe next time, we did get a glimpse of a Nuthatch which is another one of my favourites. Bank Holidays is not a good time to watch birds in popular places ... too many people and screaming kids or maybe I'm just getting old!

3 comments:

  1. The three birds are female Chaffinch if you compare with the males you'll see that they have same wingbars and generally look the same structurally but are green/grey rather than pink/brown like the males.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you have there is three female chaffinches and a nice male greenfinch.... male greenfinches are generally brighter green than females and show more extensive yellow in the wings and tail than a female...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I looked in my bird book at Chaffinch and noticed the wing bars straight away, I will know next time, it's quite apparent that they are Chaffinch silly me, at least I can laugh at my self.
    Thanks again Alan and Newton Stringer.

    ReplyDelete