Sunday 28 March 2010

Low Hauxley and Howick

Last weekend my photographer for the day and I went to Low Hauxley for a spot of birding. I met a very miserable birder who complained that all he could see were Ducks n Geese, but if he looked a bit harder through his bins then he would've spotted quiet a nice surprise. Male and Female Red breasted Mergansers were swimming quite a way away but we still managed a decent photo. I spent a while trying to identify a small bird diving and I was hoping it was a Pochard but alas when I popped the photos on the computer I realised it was a female Goldeneye. There were several pairs dotted here and there. Not a Pochard but still nice. Other species spotted were, Greylag Geese, Canada Geese, Shelduck, Mute Swan, Widgeon, Goldeneye, Heron, Lapwing, Cormorant, Mallard, Curlew, Redshank, and Godwits on the island. The miserable birder ID them as Black Tailed Godwits but I didn't manage to get a good enough photo to get a decent ID. On the path back to the car park I spotted Starling and Long Tailed Tit which was nice.

Yesterday we spent about an hour or so at Howick Hall and got a cracking photo of the Chaffinch. Loads of bird song could be heard and I did spot some Great Tit and Blue Tit. A Buzzard flew over and we also saw some Kestrel. After a cracking lunch at the Gray's Inn at Embleton we headed home, Lovely couple of days afternoons. Must try and get to Howick Scar to see the Fulmar and Kittiwake when they start to nest.

2 comments:

  1. You should have called in to the Scar when you were here! There are over a hundred Kittiwakes and 40 Fulmars now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That miserable birder..............i reckon it could have been 1 of 100's i know.
    John

    ReplyDelete